Corporate responsibility is a key element of our business. Our CSR priorities are based on our core values of customer focus, profitability, responsibility and employee satisfaction.
Finnlines takes into account its social responsibilities and economic and environmental aspects in all its activities.
Finnlines has reported on its responsible management of the environment and human resources since 1999. Finnlines’ sustainability reporting has been part of the Grimaldi Group’s Sustainability Report since 2015. Reporting includes, in addition to financial figures, key indicators related to the employees and the environment. Grimaldi Group’s Sustainability Report follows the GRI (Global Reporting Initiative) guidelines.
Commitment to global goals
We are committed to providing services that are economically sustainable and environmentally friendly. We continuously reduce our footprint and Finnlines is well aligned with the IMO’s (UN’s International Maritime Organization) target to reduce ships’ carbon intensity by 40 per cent by 2030. Finnlines has already reduced its fleet carbon intensity by 27 per cent
compared to the 2008 baseline and is committed to an annual reduction of 2 per cent.
The UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) are a collection of 17 interlinked global goals to help achieve a better and more sustainable future. Finnlines has identified five priority SDGs that are most relevant to our activities. These goals are Decent work and economic growth, Industry, innovation and infrastructure, Responsible consumption and production, Climate action, and Life below water.
Grow together with customers
(SDG: Decent work and economic growth, Industry, Innovation
and infrastructure & Responsible consumption)
- We create value for our customers
- We develop and expand our network
- We have optimal fleet utilisation and performance
Involved and skilled people
(SDG: Decent work and economic growth & Responsible
- The delivery of safe, high-quality services requires skilled
- Competence development
- We treat employees equally and fairly
We invest sustainably to develop responsible services
(SDG: Industry, innovation and infrastructure, Responsible
consumption, Climate action & Life below water)
- We constantly renew and develop our fleet using the latest
technology and innovations
- We improve the energy efficiency of our fleet
- We have constant dialogue with our customers, employees and stakeholders to create effective cooperation
Sustainable travel with Finnlines
Finnlines was awarded the Sustainable Travel Finland label by
Visit Finland in 2021, a recognition of Finnlines’ long-term work
on sustainable values.
Highlights in 2022
- In summer 2022, three hybrid ro-ro vessels entered traffic. These high-tech giant vessels do not only offer customers economies of scale, but also reduce the environmental footprint.
- The personnel survey we carried out gave us valuable insights into the issues that matter to our employees and it enabled us to make a concrete action plan for the future.
- We reduced the carbon intensity of our vessels by 8 per cent compared to 2021.
- All vessels are equipped with ballast water treatment systems.
- We have started the installation of a shore-side power connection on our existing Star-class ro-pax vessels in cooperation with the ports of Helsinki and Travemünde. The project will be completed in 2023