Finnlines is committed to long-term efforts for the environment. Environmental responsibility is part of our daily operations and includes everyday actions like timetable and route planning or running on optimal speed, load and trim.
Shipping is global business and undoubtedly the most sustainable way of transportation. Up to 90% of the world’s commercial goods are transported by sea. According to the International Maritime Organization (IMO), it is the most environmentally friendly mode of transport. Shipping as more of transport only creates approximately 2.6% of the world’s greenhouse emissions, figures are similar to the emissions from global air traffic.
Shipping is extremely important to the industry and economy. Approximately 90% of Finnish exports and 80% of imports are transported by sea. Liner shipping service with frequent departures is especially crucial for processed products, such as foodstuffs.
Ships with a higher utilisation rate are also more environmentally efficient. The best results are achieved by combining passenger traffic with cargo transport. This is exactly what Finnlines’ ro-pax service does. The high utilisation rate of the routes and vessels makes sustainable and responsible travel possible.
- We are committed to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- We are committed to the IMO target to reduce CO2 emissions by 50% by 2050.
- We offer an eco-friendly, safe and secure way to travel with cargo.
- We operate a reliable seaway within Europe.
- We comply with the economic, ecological, social as well as cultural sustainability criteria set out by Visit Finland.