Good to know when booking and travelling
Booking and inspection of passport or identity card at the check-in
The following information concerning all passengers must be provided when a reservation is made: surname, given name(s), gender, full date of birth and nationality as well as, at the passenger's request any impairment of mobility that could be of significance in relation to rescue measures. In addition, a mobile phone number where the passenger can be reached during the entire journey and e-mail and mail address must be provided by the passenger.
The following information must be provided when a place for a vehicle is reserved: registration number, type of vehicle and vehicle dimensions, including any additional load affecting the dimensions of the vehicle.
The identity of all passengers will be checked at the check-in in the harbour. Please, be prepared to show your passport or identity card at the check-in. All passenger details in the booking must match the passport or identity card. Read more about the travel documents under Passport and identity card.
Good to know before travelling
Good to know onboard
- All passengers travelling in cabins are provided with bed linens and towels.
- Passengers travelling in recliner seats are not provided with towels nor with blankets.
- The cabin facilities depend on the route and cabin category.
- The cabins are all equipped at least with a shower/toilet and air conditioning, usually also with a TV.
- All cabins are non-smoking.
- Most Finnlines vessels have cabins for passengers with impaired mobility.
- On the Helsinki–Travemünde route there are combined cabins available with a connecting door, for example for families.
- On the Helsinki–Travemünde route recliner seats available during the summer season and beds in shared cabin round the year.
- Travelling with pets
- Check-in times depend on the routes. Please see Check-in info to see the times or contact our Customer Service.
- Children under 6 years travel for free in the same cabin with a guardian.
- On the Helsinki–Travemünde route, recliner seats or beds in shared cabins are not sold for children under 13 years. Read more about minor passengers travelling alone below.
- Onboard there is no cold storage for passenger use.
- Some cabin categories are equipped with a refrigerator. Please click Service Onboard for more information.
- If a dispute concerning a sales contract cannot be resolved through negotiation between the parties, the consumer can consult the Consumer Disputes Board (www.kuluttajariita.fi/en) on the matter.
- Before taking the matter to the Consumer Disputes Board, the consumer should contact the Local Register Offices' Consumer Advisory Service (www.kkv.fi/en/consumer-advice).
- If your mobility is reduced, please notify us when booking or by phone at the latest 48 hours before your departure. This way we can assist you on board the ship if required.
- Passengers travelling to/from the Åland Islands should contact Call Center before making a reservation. On the car deck, there is no obstacle-free access from the vehicle to the elevator.
- Special priced tickets according to an offer or discount need to be booked and paid in advance. Discounts are not granted at the check-in and are not refunded afterwards. Special priced places are limited.
- On Sweden–Finland traffic you have the possibility for duty free shopping on the departures that stop at the Åland Islands.
- Please note that there is no doctor or medicine cabinet available for passengers. However, there are always crew members aboard who have training in medical first aid.
- Information about green zones in Continental Europe is available on tourist boards' and embassies' websites. An environmental badge is obligatory in some German cities.
- If you want to make a group reservation, please contact Finnlines Call Center.
- We recommend all our passengers to take a travel insurance and make sure that if they are travelling with a vehicle that its car and traffic insurance is valid during the sea trip.
- Finnlines' Conditions of Carriage do not include right of cancellation in case of acute illness. We recommend that our passengers always take a travel insurance with cancellation protection.
- Satellite-operated WLAN is available on most Finnlines passenger vessels. Connection on sea is realised via satellite and is therefore slower than ashore.
- Travemünde–Helsinki: Vessels Finnstar, Finnlady and Finnmaid: Free limited Wi-Fi on deck 11. Possibility to purchase enhanced Wi-Fi services on Finnmaid.
- Malmö–Travemünde: Vessel Nordlink: Deck 11. Vessels Finnpartner and Finntrader: Deck 4
- Naantali–Kapellskär: Vessel Finnclipper: Deck 7
- The carrier is not liable for items lost or forgotten onboard. Please contact the local Finnlines office for further information on your lost item.
- All lost property is brought about once a month to Finland’s Found Property Service.
- Onboard vessels meals are served in the self-service buffet restaurant.
- Meals are not included in the regular fares, except on the Naantali–Kapellskär route.
- By purchasing a meal package when booking your trip, you save money. Meals can also be bought separately onboard.
- Water, milk, juice, coffee, and tea are included in the meal prices. Other meal beverages can be bought at the bar.
- In case you have a certain food allergy or diet, we recommend you to mention this when booking your trip.
- On Germany–Finland route the dinner superior includes milk, water, juice, coffee, tea, draught beer, ship's wine, and selected soft drinks.
- Finland and Germany: Visa, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Maestro, Amex, Diners Club or cash payments in euro. In Långnäs, there is no possibility to pay the trip.
- Sweden: Visa, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Maestro or cash payments in SEK or euro
- Purchases are payable in cash (euros) or card.
- On the routes Naantali–Långnäs–Kapellskär and Malmö–Travemünde you can also pay your purchases in Swedish krona instead of euros.
- We accept the following credit and debit cards: American Express, Diners Club, Eurocard, Maestro, MasterCard, MasterCard Debit, V PAY, Visa, Visa Debit and Visa Electron.
- As the data communication is via satellite connection, we cannot guarantee the card payments to succeed.
- There is no currency exchange nor any possibility to withdraw money e.g. from an ATM onboard.
- Minor passengers travelling without a guardian in a group or alone have to have their guardian's written consent.
- Minors aged 14–17 years can travel without a guardian but in that case they will be charged adult's ticket fee.
- Minor passengers under 14 years of age must have a named guardian who is responsible for them during the sea voyage.
- Minor travelling alone
- Minor travelling without a guardian
- During the sea voyage mobile phones use satellite connection when you make a call or send a text message. Therefore, phone calls and text messages are more expensive onboard than ashore. Inquire the prices from your mobile service provider. This service is provided by WINS or by Skybridge on all vessels.
- WINS: Finnlady, Finnmaid, and Finnstar
- Skybridge: Finnclipper, Finnfellow, Finnpartner, and Finntrader
- You can book your trip online 24/7.
- If you want to e.g. book your outbound journey as a standard-priced trip and the inbound journey as a special-priced trip, please contact our Call Center.
- Online booking is possible until check-in for the desired departure is opened. Exceptions are departures from Travemünde to Helsinki where online booking must be made at 19:00 at the latest.
- Online booking can be paid with Visa, Visa Electron, MasterCard or Maestro. Direct banking is possible in Finland via Aktia, Danske Bank, Handelsbanken, Nordea, OP, POP Pankki, S-Pankki, Säästöpankki and Ålandsbanken. At the moment, it is not possible to pay the trip through PayPal.
- EU regulation 1177/2010 applies to information providement during the travel, compensation amounts in case of delay and the rights of handicapped and disabled persons. Read more on the page about passenger rights. In a claim situation you can apply for compensation via feedback form.
- EU regulation 392/2009 covers liability of the carrier in the event of accidents. Read more on the page about Passenger rights. In a claim situation you can apply for compensation via feedback form.
- EU and Swiss citizens: The passenger must have a valid passport or an official identity card issued in an EU country or in Switzerland which the states in question has approved as a travel document. Children must have their own passport or official identity card.
- Citizens of other countries: The passenger must have a valid passport and other necessary travel documents.
- Naantali–Långäs–Kapellskär route: Nordic citizens may prove their identity also with a driving license when travelling from one Nordic country to another.
- The identity of all passengers will be checked at the check-in in the harbour.
- There is a limited amount of pet cabins on each vessel and the pet cabin is mandatory always when travelling with a pet.
- All pets need to be notified upon reservation.
- A person travelling with a pet must reserve a whole cabin.
- No more than two pets per cabin are allowed.
- Pets may not be taken into bars, restaurants, sauna or other public areas.
- Before taking your pet abroad, please check the existing restrictions and regulations from local authorities.
- If you book a return or multi-leg trip, you get a 20% discount on all ferry trips following the first one. In order to get the discount, you need to book all parts of the trip at the same time.
- In case the first part of the trip is cancelled or it is not used, the return or multi-leg discount will be removed from the new first section.
- The saunas, jacuzzis, and gym are free of charge for the passengers.
- Service selection depends on the routes.
- There are surveillance cameras in the public areas onboard the ships and in the terminals.
- Passengers shall follow all instructions given by the ship’s crew.
- According to the International Ship and Port Security Code (ISPS), all passengers, vehicles and luggage can be subjected to a security inspection.
- Smoking is only allowed in designated areas. This applies to e-cigarettes, too.
Read more about Special- and Standard-fare conditons here.
Tap water on board is potable high quality Finnish or Swedish tap water.
- After booking you will receive a booking confirmation, which is valid as a ticket. The booking reference number needs to be informed at the check-in.
- Finnish and Swedish, as well as the Central-European time difference is one hour (–1h).
- The departure and arrival times are always displayed in local time.
- Vessels operating from Finland to Sweden or Central-Europe have Finnish time aboard.
- Sweden CET
- Finland CET +1h
- The following time zones apply onboard
- Travemünde–Helsinki CET +1h
- Travemünde–Malmö CET
- Naantali–Kapellskär CET +1h
- On board our vessels you can travel with or without a vehicle. The only exception is the route Naantali–Långnäs–Kapellskär, where all passengers must travel with a motor vehicle or bike.
- With the exception of Naantali–Långnäs–Kapellskär, all passengers without vehicles are driven by minibuses from the terminal onboard the vessel and vice versa.
- Please make sure that you reserve enough time for for boarding and disembarking the ship.
- Groups travelling by bus can drive conveniently in their own bus onboard the ship.
- For safety and security reasons it is forbidden to walk, drive and ride a bike in the harbour area. Driving takes place under supervision, which means that a lead car takes the car convoy to the ship.
- The ship’s crew will assist parking the vehicles.
- Motorcycles with sidecar or trailer are booked as vehicles up to 6 m long. Motorcycles need to be secured on the car deck. For this, Finnlines offers tie-down straps and other load-securing devices. Upon request, the ship’s crew will assist you with the mounting.
- There is a limited amount of electricity outlets for mobile homes and caravans. Please request the electricity outlet during the booking, if needed.
- Gas cylinders need to be closed during the voyage.
- The passenger is responsible that the vehicle measurements mentioned while booking are correct. If the dimensions are exceeded, we will try to arrange another vehicle place. The customer will be charged the price difference according to the price list. However, a new vehicle space cannot be guaranteed.
- Buses and animal transport (e.g. dog teams and horses) are to be booked via call center only.
- Vehicles carrying commercial goods and vehicles registered for commercial transportation are booked as cargo. If it is established at the check-in that the vehicle type does not correspond with the booked vehicle type, the customer will be charged an additional fee in accordance with the passenger vehicle or the cargo price list.
- Due to security reasons, the car deck is closed during the whole voyage.
- There is no heating on the car deck.